Making your own pizza is a fun way to release your stress and hunger (or adding your stress if you have guests coming, and not having the things ready on time). Not to forget that it’s very cheap too.
Here’s the pizza recipe that we have tried for the past 2 weeks. It costs around SGD 20 for pizza dough and its toppings (mozarella, mushroom, capsicum, tomato).
For 2-3 persons serving:
- 7/8 cup of bread flour (or high-protein flour)
- 1/3 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of olive virgin oil
- The yeast solution (see below)
- The crust glazing solution (see below)
The yeast in the dough makes a difference between thick or thin pizza. By default, if you cannot activate the yeast properly, you will end up with thin crust pizza. So, no worries about getting too much or too little of the yeast. You will still end up with pizza dough anyway 🙂
The yeast solution:
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 cup of lukewarm water (not too hot or it will kill the yeast, not too cold or it will take a lot of time to activate it)
- 3.5 gr of active dry yeast
The crust glazing solution is needed to make your crust brown colored (without these, the dough will be white in the edge, although it’s cooked).
The crust glaze solution:
- 3 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of hot water
- small amount of bread flour
The Making of Pizza Dough
- Make the yeast solution first, by dissolving the sugar into the lukewarm water. Add yeast and a bit of flour as indicator. Mix everything and wait 6-8 minutes, or until you see the solution bubbles / foaming. Put into separate glass.
- Mix flour, salt and olive oil in a flat pan. Add the yeast solution little by little and start to knead it.
- Knead the dough until it doesn’t stick in your hand. If it’s too wet (like a slime), add more flour. If it’s too sticky, add a bit of olive oil. If it’s too dry, add more lukewarm water.
- Rest the kneaded dough in a bowl. Cover it with wet towel, and wait until it doubled in size. It takes around 2-hours.
- Knead the rested dough again for 10-minutes (or until it doesn’t stick in your hand).
- Lubricate the baking pan with the olive oil. Then start to shape the dough to cover the baking pan. The dough will raise with empty pockets of CO2. Get some fork to poke some holes into it.
- Make the crust glaze by mixing the salt and the water. Then, using your finger, polish the edge of the dough with the salt water. Add flour to cover the salt watered dough edge.
- Pre bake the dough with the oven. For thin crust, use 5-mins with 240 C. For thick dough, use 10-mins with 240 C. The preferred heat source is from bottom.
- After pre-baked, add the toppings that you want and bake it again for good. Recommended measurement is 10-mins with 240 C
And that’s all folks..Hopefully you’ll ended with a nice home made pizza.
Here’s the topping that we’ve tried:
- Tomato puree
- Ripe Tomato (sliced)